Monday, July 19, 2010

10 Things I've Learned from My Tech Integrator















It all boils down to a 30 min or so per week mix of crash course, conversation, and chit chat. I have the privilege to work with Mark Carls, our district's Technology Integrator, when he's here one day a week.  Last year was a year of change for me as an educator and our school's decisison to bring Mark on couldn't have been more perfect. 

I remember when I first met him saying that I had three goals for the school year - Kidspiration, PhotoStory3, and Scholastic Keys.  I'd had some success with photo projects, creating digital videos, and our classroom website proved to be helpful for my students and parents.  But, I'd just switched grades from fourth and was used to tackling tech project independently, little did I know what impact this new position would have on myself and my classroom.  I have always been passionate about tech integration and have tried to keep myself and my students "current" with educational technology, but this is exactly what I needed.  I'd often get stuck with little issues and unknowns, so I'd utilize what worked for us.  I wasn't the risk taker that I'm slowly becoming.

You know how every now and then someone walks into your life and changes you for the better - this was one of those times!  Last school year, Mark assisted our whole class in the lab quite a bit, but also helped me out.  Our class created a glog last year for a thank you.  This year, he's mostly helped me as an educator so that I can have a better grasp on things when I'm working with my students.  Since his visits are so brief, I keep track of my items with "The List" method.  I've learned so much from Mark the past two years and I am constantly expressing my gratitude to him.  But, sometimes "thanks" gets old, so as I was refecting on what have I actually learned from Mark, this is what I came up with.  So, here's your thank you for this year.  Thank you for not only helping me this year, but inspiring me to help others!

So, here's your final LIST & a sticky-note free desk for me - at least for the summer! 


Answering the Unknown - If one doesn't know the answer, one needs to know where to locate the answer.  Twitter = priceless people with widespread knowledge about all of the little things!   Ning = educators with a common interest unite and assist each other along the way.   Specific tool giving you issues? = way at the bottom of the page there's usually a little tiny option to contact them.  Usually within a day, your site-specific problems are solved.  When all else fails = Google it!  This is so basic, but it still amazes me what you can find.

Support - He's always available to help with the details and areas of uncharted territory - simple or complex.  If he's not sure, he'll figure it out and get back to you.  He never makes your concerns seem unimportant.  When I'm asked a question, I need to give others the same attention to their issue.  

Humility - Give credit when it's due!  Site the source and share how we all learn from each other.

Facing my Fear - of downloads that is!  Even with our amazing tech department at our school, I was still hesitant when I'd click the final button to allow a download onto my computer.  Why?  Do I really think that with one click I'm going to destroy the network?  No.  Do I realize how long it has taken in the past to rebuild my computer? Yes.  But, now I fearlessly click away knowing that all will be okay. 

Listen - Really listen - to ideas!  He'll inspire me without saying anything, yet I need to share what I'm contemplating putting into action.  Many times it seems others just want someone listen.

Follow-up - After meeting with someone else send a brief email, stop by their room another day to show you remember their project and that you're available if something comes up again.  This little way of showing you care helps to answer any more questions that arise.

Always Leave Something Behind- Maybe someone is ready for more, but doesn't know what to really ask about.  If you leave a tool, idea, or website behind they'll get back to you if they are interested.  Many times that's all I needed and I went crazy exploring, learning, applying or implementing whatever it may have been that Mark would leave up on one of my tabs.

Problem Solving - Figure it out, try more, have some patience, and be more persisitent I often remind myself!  If one doesn't know how to solve an issue initially that's okay!  Sometimes you just need time to explore.  Yet, I'm still glad that I handed over my airliner after numerous feeble attempts at short-termed solutions when it was the pen after all of that!

Confidence - To fail! To succeed!

Dream Big - I've been working more on my digital presence this year.  It's a long process in leaving a positive footprint and finding the mark that you'd like to leave.  It was wonderful for my class and myself to participate in and organize global collaborations.  Yet, none of that would have been possible without first establishing postitive working relationships with those in my PLN.  I'm thankful for the times that Mark would re-tweet my tweets and comment about what my class was working on.  He's right - it just happens - but with lots of effort and organization!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post and willingness to try things. I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete