Friday, November 19, 2010

Building Blocks...One Step at a Time!


Do you ever feel like this little tyke?  You know you want to build a tower, you have the blocks to build it, the solid surface for a good foundation, but you can't envision the finished building so you struggle even putting the first two blocks together. 

Do you ever feel like this as an educator?  You have ideas, tools, resources, but don't have a clear vision in mind and therefore can't figure out where to begin.

I've been trying to solidify my "tech point-of-view" this past year.  Why do we do what we do in our classroom?  Where are we going?  How are we going to get there?  What do we need to reach that goal?  Who can assist us along the way?

Rick Weinberg, BOCES tech integrator, asked me to present at the Technology Coordinators and Integrator's Forum.  So, I took this opportunity as a reason to try and consolidate, as well as fine-tune my thoughts on technology education with primary-aged students

Here's what I came up with...
 
...

 
Process Not Product: Arctic Animal Adventure



Webcam Wows: Storybird Surprise!



 
Obtaining Objectives: Pond Glogs




Scaffolding Brings Success: Strategy and Skill Focus




Inspired, Yet Influencing: PLN Meets PLC

If I could only pic 3, my favorites 4 -
Students: GlogsterEDU, VoiceThread, Skype
Resources: Webcam, Microphone, Digital Cameras
Educators: Google Tools, PLN, Educational Blogs

My favorite part of the "presentation" was the discussion afterwards. 

There were many comments, topics of conversation, as well as compliments.  As thought-provoking as it seemed for others, it has proved to be continually making my mind analyze and evaluate my intentions.  Plus, it instilled a curiosity for what other's reasons may be.   

My favorite comment was from Rick.  He said something about how purpose seems really important to me.  I replied with one of my friend Tammie Thomas' lines, "Well, it's not about the cool!" 

What is tech integration without purpose? 

What's your goal with your students as you implement technology? 

What's your plan on meeting that objective?

No comments:

Post a Comment