Friday, January 8, 2010

Learning with Passion, Innovation, & Leadership


Our school has adopted a new mission statement:
Learning with Passion, Innovation, and Leadership

Our superintendent of schools asked all of the faculty and staff to write about it.

Assignment: Think of a time when you've experienced learning with passion, innovation, and/or leadership. Tell me about that time.

Here were the questions we could use to help us formulate our response -
1. What are the two most important points that you want to make about that learning experience?
2. What was the learning experience like? Please describe.
3. What was your role? How did you fit in?
4. Did it differ from other learning experiences? If so, how?
5. Which of the three (passion, innovation, leadership) in learning do you feel the strongest about? Why?
6. Suppose you are a student in a classroom at our school. How would you react if your classes included learning experiences which allowed you to learn with passion, innovation, and leadership?
7. What would happen if every teacher incorporated learning with passion, innovation and/or leadership into the regular unit planning and design?

Here's what I turned:
"A time" - I've struggled with this since the task was initially given. I guess it's been more of a "process" for me or a journey of learning. But, to sum it up - technology integration.

Technology - I'm filled with passion concerning it, challenge myself to integrate it with innovation, and have realized that I have the potential to take a leadership role to inspire others. Last night I read about passion in Angela Maier's recent blog post - Passionate Learning: Always in "WOW" Mode. I feel like I'm in WOW mode! I should comment on her post with "Passion is... lying awake at night with so many ideas about how to incorporate technology in my classroom that I just can't get out of creative mode and rest my mind!"

I've created a glog this week to share with my student teacher. It's a work in progress that I'd like to continue to edit and update. This sums up my experience - I'm passionate about using these tools, attempted to present them in an innovative format, and desire to be a proficient and compassionate leader to aide Mr. Izana in his adventure in learning and teaching.

So, here are the answers for the provided thought-provoking questions. My two most important points - make time to learn what you love. Also, be self-motivated and have ambition to fulfill your learning goals. This learning experience gives me more drive to keep learning! I'm taking a role filled with initiative - finding avenues to ensure the objectives I've set for myself and my students come to fruition. For example, gather ideas from Twitter, keeping up with my Google Reader blogs, continual collaboration with Mr. Kauffman and his class from Goshen, IN, as well as working with exceptional Mark Carls. This expedition has differed from other learning experiences because a creative, intelligent, supportive, and encouraging network or colleagues and educational professionals is being established. Positive reinforcement, thoughtful words, knowing that others think your ideas are awesome - is so valuable to me, actually more like priceless. I hope that my own children will have classes here at RCS with learning experiences like I encounter daily as a teacher at RCS. If we all incorporate these - our school will become even more exceptional!

Recently, I came across a quote that really hit home and made me think, "You should not confuse your career with your life," - Dave Barry. So many of my learning experiences are my career AND my life. I've chosen passion regarding technology integration! But, as all learners need some down time, I need this upcoming break to refresh and enjoy quality time with my littlest learners at home. Yet, looking forward to comping back to tackle the next learning experience here at RCS!

In the end, this assignment has helped me to remember the importance of reflection as a teacher and how much I really like to write. So, here's to the start of a BLOG!

No comments:

Post a Comment